Thursday, April 2, 2020

FLORENCE - ACTIVE REPORT FROM BRUSSELS

Here in Belgium, we have been in lockdown for 2 weeks already and will be for at least another two weeks. I only get out to go shopping for food – supermarkets are pretty well organised and stocked, so no worry. Just extra précautions, gloves but no mask. My other outing – daily this time – is to take my dog for a walk. I am so grateful to have him. Never underestimate the therapeutic power of pets ! And it is the best excuse and motivation ever to take a good walk every day, also part of staying motivated and in good form.

I must admit that for someone who is generally very active, I am coping pretty well with the situation and I find that surprising. I have kept a routine, getting up at the same time every day, doing work in the morning, then sports, then some more work, walking the dog and spending the end of the afternoon on personal papers, contacts with friends, reading the news, watching some tv… Friends are essential and we have established a new tradition of drinks via House Party or Zoom, so we can have a laugh, share a drink virtually and keep in touch. It is so important to be able to do so ! 

I also feel fortunate that I am not at home on my own. My son and his grilfriend are here too, although they live their own life, on a different floor of the house. But we are comforted by each other’s presence.

It is a strange feeling, getting used to this situation. You forget about it and then, all of a sudden, you are reminded of the emptiness of the streets, the quietness of the roads, the unusual days. It feels like a dream, it feels like we will wake up from it all, and yet we don’t. A verys trange feeling indeed. 

Another feeling is that of uselessness. I do not have a job which makes a differenceand I cannot work for the time being. I do not contribute in any way to the joint effort. Yes, I do applaude every evening at 8, I thank the cashier at the supermarket every time, I share messages of support on social media. But that’s it. 

So I decided to make masks with left over material. I distribute them to those who need them. The least I can do to feel useful…

No comments:

Post a Comment